Christina Hughes practices all areas of domestic relations law including divorce, custody, child support, guardianship, and representation of minors.
She is dedicated to serving clients by providing highly effective counsel, and does so by developing a unique case strategy for each client based on that client’s individual goals. Those strategies may take significantly different forms, including but not limited to alternative dispute resolution, a negotiated settlement, or litigation. Ms. Hughes is an experienced litigator with extensive trial experience. Prior to entering private practice, she was an Assistant State’s Attorney for Montgomery County, Maryland and tried numerous cases ranging from misdemeanors to homicide. In her family law practice, she assists her clients in navigating complex matters that involve children, assets and security for the future. She is a trained mediator and child’s counsel. She has been appointed by the court to serve as the Best Interest Attorney for minor children in multiple cases and has also served as the court-appointed child privilege attorney and as court-appointed counsel for the alleged disabled person in guardianship matters.
Ms. Hughes is the 2015-2017 co-chair of the Family Law Section of the Montgomery County Bar Association and previously served as the as co-chair of the Family Law Section’s Continuing Legal Education Committee. In 2014 she was selected as a Bar Leader of the Montgomery County Bar Foundation. Ms. Hughes is also a member of the Maryland State Bar Association where she currently serves on the Leadership Academy committee. She was a 2013-2014 Fellow of the MSBA Leadership Academy and also in 2014 was selected as a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation. In addition, she participates in the Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, Inns of Court, the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts and the National Trial Lawyers Association. She was recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2016 and 2017, recognized as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and was selected by the Washingtonian Magazine as one of Washington’s Best Lawyers for 2013.
Ms. Hughes is admitted to practice law in Maryland (2007), Washington, DC (2013) and the United States District Court for the District of Maryland (2013).
Ms. Hughes is a graduate of James Madison University (2000) and was a consultant for PricewaterhouseCoopers prior to obtaining her J.D. from De Paul University College of Law and as a visiting student with American University College of Law.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Inns of Court 2011- present
- Maryland State Bar Association 2011-present
- Leadership Academy Fellow 2013 – 2014
- Program Committee Member 2014 – 2015
- Legal Reform Committee Member 2014-2015
- Montgomery County Bar Association 2012-present
- Family Law Section CLE Co-Chair 2014-2015
- Family Law Section Co-Chair 2015-2016
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation Bar Leader 2014 – present
- Maryland Bar Foundation Fellow 2014- present
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland 2012-present
- Planning committee for WBA Auction 2013
- Solo Practice – From Start to Finish 2015
- Evidence for the Family Law Practitioner 2014
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers by National Trial Lawyers, 2014 & 2015
- Washingtonian Magazine Washington’s Best Lawyers 2013
- Fellow, Leadership Academy of the Maryland State Bar, 2013-2014
- Bar Leader, Montgomery County Bar Association 2014
- Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation 2014